Welcome back, it’s Tuesday, which mean’s it’s also Top 10 Tuesdays, which is now hosted by Jana @ThatArtsyReaderGirl, make sure to check her blog out!
I like the straightforwardness of this prompt, so without any preamble, here’s the list:
- The House of the Spirits by Isabelle Allende: Good writing, but I did not enjoy the story. Sweeping family sagas are not my thing.
- The Republic of Birds by Jessica Miller: This was a very fun, interesting middle-grade with Russian-inspired worldbuilding and magic. Stay tuned for my review.
- Mindy Kim and the Yummy Seaweed Business by Lyla Lee: Adorable story of an Asian American girl’s experience at her new school, introducing Korean snacks to her classmates. I’m reading the rest of the series!
- The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin: This was a re-read. I read it in elementary school and really enjoyed it and…I still do! A middle-grade page-turner mystery with a unique cast of characters.
- They Called Me Number One by Bev Sellars: A heartrending memoir of a Native woman’s and her family’s experiences with the Residential Schools in Canada, which treated Native children horrible. This one is a tough read, but important.
- The Forest of Stolen Girls by June Hur: I loved this YA historical-fiction mystery. It was gripping and I really enjoyed the female-centered story.
- The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie: My most recent Poirot read. This one was so interesting and I didn’t see that ending coming!
- The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern: This was a miss for me. I loved Night Circus but this one felt like it was trying to hard and there were just too many stories going on. The romance was also snoresville and unrealistic.
- Pride & Premeditation by Tirzah Price: I really enjoyed this twist on Pride & Prejudice, turning it into a mystery. The writing was so good and I loved seeing the familiar characters in new roles.
- Nadiya’s Kitchen by Nadiya Hussain: I loved Nadiya on GBBO and her cookbook was really interesting, though I’m not sure how many of her recipes I’d actually want to try from this book.