This challenge focuses on intentionally reading diverse books, which means either diverse characters or authors. For a clear idea of what they classify as diverse, follow this link to their Challenge page. Essentially, the author or the main character of a book/one of the leads with a POV has to belong to a diverse group.
- The challenge will run from January 1st, 2020 to December 31st, 2020. Books must be read during this time frame to count. Sign up is open from now until December 1st, 2020, so you may join even just for the last month of the year.
- Any format and length of book counts – print, ebook, audio, ARC, etc.
- Crossovers from other challenges are totally acceptable!
- Reviews are not required, but highly encouraged.
How to Participate:
- Declare your intentions to participate in this challenge somewhere on the internet!! You do not need to be a blogger to participate, there are many ways to declare. You could write a blog post, create a reading challenge page, create a Goodreads shelf containing diverse books you hope to read, post about it on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Some things you could include (but that aren’t required):
- A link to this page so that others may find us and join the fun as well (feel free to download the button at the bottom to use in your posts).
- The goals you are setting for yourself (number of diverse books you want to read over the year, number of different kinds of diversity you want to explore, and if participating in the mini-challenge, the level you are aiming for).
- A list of potential diverse books you hope to read for this challenge.
- Sign up for the challenge using the link up below, and link directly to where you’ve declared your intentions (ie to the specific blog post, the goodreads shelf, the facebook post, etc).
- We will be posting quarterly link ups for you to add links to your reviews or any wrap-up/overview posts you wish to share.
- Go forth and READ!! And have fun!!
- Use the hashtag #DiversityRC2020 on any social media to keep up with other participants!
There are also monthly challenges to give this reading challenge an added layer. They help target a variety of diverse areas to help you spread your reading out, if you’re so inclined. They are as follows:
JANUARY – diverse folktales/culture/mythology; or diverse retelling; or non-western setting
FEBRUARY – poc: Black/African American
MARCH – #ownvoices; or gender: female authors in male-dominated genres/non-fiction
APRIL – poc: Middle Eastern/South Asian
MAY – poc: East Asian/Southeast Asian/Pacific Islander
JUNE – LGBT+ pride summer: sexuality and gender identity
JULY – LGBT+ pride summer: sexuality and gender identity
AUGUST – mental health/addiction
SEPTEMBER – poc: hispanic/latinx
OCTOBER – physical/sensory/cognitive/intellectual/developmental disabilities
NOVEMBER – poc: Native American
DECEMBER – religious minorities
If you want to check out the different Mini-Challenge levels, click here! I will be shooting for all 12 monthly themes, or the Ermahgerd Level (9-12 Monthly Themes). The reason for this is I think this challenge pairs nicely with the other challenges I’m already doing, so I can very easily double up between all of them and make this work.